Romans 12:1-2 ESV
I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
Quieten your heart and mind. Turn off all distractions and close your eyes. Put away anxiousness and listen. Bring your heart and mind into stillness before God. Set aside your agenda and opinions and reflect on God’s Words.
Paul’s gospel of Romans is very theological, so many Christians avoid it. But until Christians own and live out the theology of Jesus Christ, the gospel hasn’t accomplished its purposes.
The theology in chapters 1-11 culminates in a “Therefore” in verse 1 of chapter 12. These two verses provide a perfect summary of a Christian’s response to God’s grace.
As you reflect on these instructions as to how you are to live your faith, here are some questions to consider:
1. As a living sacrifice, it must be intentional and with purpose. Do you intentionally offer yourself to God?
2. In your journey in sanctification – towards holiness, what areas might you be compromising and need to rededicate to God?
3. What does conformed to the world mean? In what ways might you have slipped into conformance?
4. We are called to be transformed – by the renewal of our minds. The three key ways Christians renew their mind are the love and study of God’s Word, prayer, and listening to preaching and teaching. Are you actively engaged in these three tools of renewal and transformation?
5. What does it mean to be transformed – from what, and into what, as a Christian? Why is this important, and how does that support being a living sacrifice?
Father, thank you for all you have done for me, in mercy, love, grace, forgiveness, and adoption!
Help me to strengthen my resolve to live for You as a living sacrifice. Sacrificing my will and my sinful heart to You. Reveal to me through the conviction of the Holy Spirit the areas of my life and heart that are not pleasing to You. Give me a love for your Word. Please bring me into deeper intimacy with You as I pray and learn to listen and hear Your voice. Above all, thank you for Your Son Jesus, through whom we can be in relationship with You. Amen.